Dr. Malkemus would love to meet you and your family and provide you with the dental care you deserve!
Do you have missing teeth? It is critically important to replace missing teeth. Eating and chewing with missing teeth can sabotage your bite and lead to incessant discomfort. Missing teeth can give rise to a mouth rearrangement that often results in facial changes that look decrepit. If a tooth is missing or has been extracted for any reason, a single implant can be used to replace the missing tooth. The implant is placed into the bone of the jaw and acts as the new tooth root. After the bone has healed over the implant, an abutment can be placed on the implant and a crown can then be attached. This method of tooth replacement looks and feels like natural teeth.
Mini dental implants (MDI) were developed in order to provide greater denture stability for those patients who:
1) Cannot withstand the rigors of conventional dental implant surgery.
2) Do not have enough bone to allow full-size implants to be placed.
3) Are in on-going therapy from one prosthetic system to another.
The head of the mini implants are shaped like a ball, and the retaining fixture acts like a socket that contains a rubber o-ring. The o-ring snaps over the ball when the denture is seated and holds the denture at a predetermined level of force.
Mini implants can generally be placed start to finish in one to two visits. There is no waiting time for the bone to heal. In many cases, mini implants are placed and the patient walks out with their dentures secured on the same day.
There are many benefits to receiving a dental implant over other forms of treatment:
- Neighboring teeth do not have to be compromised
- Implants allow you to keep your jaw structure
- They look and feel like natural teeth
- Dental Implants can replace partials and are used to secure loose dentures